- ABOUT IMC
- IoT LIBRARY
- RFP PROGRAMME
Digi router supports remote monitoring
- July 1, 2020
- Steve Rogerson
Digi has introduced a router to provide adaptable, right-sized connectivity. The IX20 is for industrial infrastructure, location monitoring and unattended retail applications that require manageability, flexibility, reliability and security.
The cloud-based product lets users securely monitor and control intelligent routers remotely. It provides reliability with dual SIMs for failover and optional wifi for uptime, and integrates the firm’s TrustFence security framework.
It works with the Digi’s Remote Manager IoT device monitoring application that provides secure remote monitoring and control, enabling automated firmware and software updates, and brings comprehensive management of intelligent routers. This application unlocks the potential of the IX20 by simplifying the road to data-driven insights and the performance of the router itself, including uptime and SureLink failover and TrustFence security features.
The router uses the firm’s Core plug-in modems that provide user-selectable connectivity while maintaining the ability to change or upgrade connectivity protocols without replacing the router. Meanwhile, its serial interface fits into most deployments without requiring a redesign.
Features that support a wide range of applications and use cases from critical industrial monitoring to self-service retail kiosks include:
- Manageability: Remote Manager is a compliance and security management application that provides centralised device management. It supports easy setup, mass configuration, control and maintenance from a single pane of glass. It provides a real-time view of network and device health and compliance, sending notifications when an alert is triggered, diagnosing and potentially repairing remote devices without the need to deploy a technician.
- Reliability: In addition to dual SIMs for failover, SureLink maintains cellular connections under adverse conditions, providing reliable uptime for mission-critical applications. Smart load balancing between cellular and Ethernet WANs, dual APNs, and configurable APN search simplify deployment and reduce setup time.
- Flexibility: The IX20 has optional wifi with serial RS232 (DB9), Ethernet and cellular LTE Cat-4 connectivity. Users can add their own edge compute algorithms with Python support and native Linux applications.
- Security: The integrated TrustFence security framework combines secure boot, protected hardware ports and secure connections with the latest encryption protocols.
- Ruggedness: Whether in the factory, oilfield or outdoor digital signage, the router operates in a wide range of temperatures and is built to withstand the harshest environments. It is rated IP30 and has been tested for operation from -40 to +70˚C.
“Industrial IoT applications and unattended retail operations continue to be a priority for Digi,” said Brian Kirkendall, vice president of product management at Minnesota-based Digi International. “We remain focused on solutions that bring flexibility, reliability and security. The IX20 extends that commitment with an industrial-grade router that offers multiple connectivity paths, a secure OS and edge intelligence.”
The router is certified and available in the USA, Canada, Europe (and countries that honour CE), Australia, New Zealand and Columbia. Certifications are in progress for Mexico, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore and other countries.