Renesas simplifies secure IoT connections to AWS
August 22, 2019
Japanese semiconductor company Renesas Electronics has announced a cloud kit with on-board wifi, environmental, light and inertial sensors that supports Amazon Free RTOS connected to Amazon Web Services (AWS).
The kit can give embedded designers a fast start and secure connection to AWS. Using Renesas’ e2 studio integrated development environment (IDE), IoT applications can be created by configuring Free RTOS, all the necessary drivers, and the network stack and component libraries.
The RX65N cloud kit provides an evaluation and prototyping environment, enabling embedded designers to create secure end-to-end IoT cloud products for sensor-based endpoint equipment. Employing Renesas’ browser-based software, users can visualise their sensor data using a smart device cloud dashboard to monitor a wide range of applications including networked smart meters, building, office and industrial automation systems, and home appliances.
“Compared to the RX65N wifi cloud connectivity kit launched in 2017, this enhanced low-cost kit combines a qualified RX65N MCU with Amazon Free RTOS connected to AWS with additional hardware, software and handy tools,” said Daryl Khoo, vice president of Renesas Electronics. “Customers can use the kit to build prototypes and then reuse the hardware and sample software as reference building blocks to accelerate their development schedules and add more value.”
The 32bit RX65N MCUs have dual-bank flash for secure programme updating via the network, as well as remote over-the-air (OTA) firmware updates. Having dual-bank flash integrated on the MCUs enables both background operation and SWAP functions, making it easier for system and network control manufacturers to execute in-the-field firmware updates securely and reliably.
The MCUs also include Trusted Secure IP (TSIP) as part of their built-in hardware security engine. The TSIP driver uses encryption key management with hardware accelerators – AES, 3DES, SHA, RSA and TRNG – as well as a protected boot code flash area to boot users’ IoT devices securely.
The kit includes:
- RX65N R5F565NEDDFP 32bit, 120MHz MCU target board with 2Mbyte code flash memory and 640kbyte SRAM;
- Pmod module with Silex SX-ULPGN wifi communications;
- Cloud option board with two USB ports for serial communications and debugging, and three sensors for sampling and sending measurement data to the cloud: Renesas ISL29035 digital light sensor for ambient and infra-red light measurement, Bosch BMI160 MEMS sensor for three-axis acceleration and gyroscopic measurement, and Bosch BME680 MEMS sensor for gas, temperature, humidity and pressure measurements;
- Renesas e2 studio IDE to let designers develop IoT applications with powerful features; and
- Embed additional functions based on Amazon Free RTOS such as USB and file-system on the IoT endpoint device.
The cloud kit is available now with a recommended price of $50.