Renesas reveals first ten IoT products from latest MCU
November 26, 2019
The first ten third-party IoT and edge products have been announced using the latest microcontroller from Japanese semiconductor company Renesas Electronics.
The RA microcontroller family of 32bit Arm Cortex-M MCUs come with a flexible software package (FSP) and building blocs that work out-of-box to address a range of IoT endpoint and edge applications.
The RA MCU ecosystem has more than 30 partners with continuous investments planned. Each partner’s building block will be labelled with the RA Ready badge and is designed to solve real-world problems.
Ready-to-use RA products can accelerate time to market by providing plug-and-play options that enable various IoT capabilities such as security, connectivity, artificial intelligence, machine learning and human machine interface (HMI). Because the RA FSP is an open architecture, it allows users to re-use their legacy code and combine it with software examples from Renesas and ecosystem partners to implement complex IoT capabilities.
“Explosive IoT growth has exponentially increased embedded design complexity over the last few years,” said Kaushal Vora, director of strategic partnerships at Renesas Electronics. “Due to the dynamic nature of IoT devices combined with growing design problems and shrinking project timelines, designers struggle to deliver on-time products with competitive feature sets. Now, more than ever, customers need a flexible platform design approach leveraging pre-developed building blocks that work out of the box.”
The first ten ready-to-use RA partner products are:
- Advanced Media and Techno Mathematical deliver a smart voice product using algorithms and decoding for human machine interface communication.
- BFG Engineering provides algorithms, hardware and software in a motor control reference driver platform for home appliances.
- CapExt capacitive touch simulation software reduces prototyping time and delivers optimal touch screen performance.
- Cyberon offers a voice recognition command and control product for HMI communications.
- Cypherbridge Systems provides SDKPac secure go-to-cloud connectivity and IoT gateway operation, along with the uLoadXL secure bootloader.
- GT&T has developed a small ready-to-manufacture GPS and Cat-M1 and NB-IoT fleet tracker.
- Reloc provides a production ready wifi driver enabling connected IoT devices.
- SecureRF’s Dome platform provides zero-touch onboarding, authentication, secure firmware update delivery and ownership management for IoT endpoint devices leveraging its quantum resistant group theoretic cryptography technology.
- Segger’s EmWin embedded GUI is integrated out-of-box in the RA FSP to enable the creation of efficient and high-quality graphical user interfaces,
- Silex provides wifi and Bluetooth Low Energy 5.0 connectivity modules for IoT devices.
The RA MCU packs are available from Renesas. Each pack typically includes a two-page partner brief, short introductory video, demo project and technical documentation.